Rangers interested in signing former Manchester United academy man Dion McGhee
According to an exclusive report from Daily Star, Scottish giants Rangers are one among a host of clubs eyeing a swoop for 19-year-old Dion McGhee, who was recently released by Manchester United.
Along with Rangers, two Premier League clubs – Watford and West Ham United are also looking to sign the youngster, who will be available on a free transfer this summer. (h/t Daily Star)
Dion McGhee: Five things you need to know…
- McGhee is a product of the Manchester United academy, having been at the club since six years of age.
- The 19-year-old has made 33 appearances for the club’s U18 side, scoring five goals and assisting three.
- The Englishman was a part of United’s U23 side this season and featured 9 times. His last appearance came in March against Stoke City. He never made a senior appearance for the club.
- A central midfielder by trade, McGhee has filled in at right-wing as well as left-back this season.
- With United not extending his contract, the teenager will be a free agent from July 1.
McGhee posted an emotional message on his social media after the confirmation of his release. In the post, the youngster thanked Manchester United. He also insisted that he was looking forward to new opportunities.
And as per the aforementioned report, Rangers are lining up a move for the teenage midfielder. The Light Blues failed to dislodge Celtic from their perch in the Scottish league once again.
- What is the net worth of Sir Alex Ferguson? Learn about his family, records, career and more
- What is the net worth of Wayne Rooney? Learn about his family, records, career and more
Preparations have already begun for next season, with the Gers already confirming the transfers of Ianis Hagi and Calvin Bassey. Now they seem to be eyeing a free transfer for McGhee as well.
However, given the interest the youngster is generating, Steven Gerrard’s side will need to act fast to secure his signing.