AS Roma fans may remember back in April when the team managers forbade their team players to take pictures with a popular Canadian rapper “Drake”.
It was one of the biggest news at that time as quite a lot of Roma players were big fans of Drake, but the managers believed that the Drake curse was still a thing and it would actually affect the team’s chances at winning.
Sure, it’s nothing but superstition, but when stakes are as high as Roma had at that time, the managers could simply not afford to take the chance. It’s all fun and games until the Drake curse actually takes effect and loses the players their game.
But how did this whole Drake curse rumor start? What has the Canadian rapper done to deserve such a thing to be associated with him? Well, let’s take a look at his body count.
Victims of Drake’s curse
The curse isn’t a new thing, either. Over the last decade, some of the most prolific athletes and teams in various sports have surrendered their next matchups following an encounter with Drizzy.
In fact, the number of cases that have been recorded has risen so much that even popular betting websites listed here have started to pay attention to who poses with Drake. It’s not out of this world to see a team’s or athlete’s odds of winning dwindle on several platforms which actually affects the team’s performance and the fanbase’s sentiment as well. It’s almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy.
A few months ago, the British boxing superstar Anthony Joshua also posed for a picture with the rapper, raising concerns about his upcoming bout with Big Baby Miller in June.
The curse really dialed itself to 11 in 2019, however. Some of the other victims of Drake over the years include:
- Kentucky losing their college Basketball match against Wisconsin in 2014
- Miami Heat destroyed by San Antonio in the NBA Finals of the same year
- Serena Williams losing the US Open Semi-Finals to Roberta Vinci in 2015
- Johnny Manziel dropping out of NFL and losing his entire career in 2016
- “The Notorious” MMA superstar Conor McGregor suffering a humiliating defeat against Khabib Nurmagomedov in 2018
- Borussia Dortmund destroyed by Munchen Bayern in 2019
- Arsenal losing to Everton in 2019
- Man City getting defeated by Tottenham in the 2019 Champions League
- And last, but not least, Paris Saint Germaine getting absolutely obliterated by Lille in Ligue one title bout in 2019 as well
Roma didn’t want to take the chance
Even though they’re no longer competing for the Serie A title, Roma FC appeared to be springing into action to avoid the “curse”.
“All Roma players banned from taking photos with Drake until the end of the season,” said the football club’s official Twitter account.
This makes all the more sense, given that the majority of the victims of the rapper’s bad karma seem to be football clubs. Manchester City, Arsenal, and Dortmund all lost their respective games after one or more of their footballers were spotted posing for pictures with Drake.