Monday 14th September
West Ham vs Newcastle
West Ham welcome Newcastle to Upton Park on Monday evening, having humbled Liverpool with a 3-0 victory in their last Premier League match. Newcastle have shown promise without achieving the deserved rewards in their four opening fixtures and will see this match as a real chance to register their first win of the season.
The battle of the ‘engine room’ is likely to have a huge impact on the outsome of the match on Monday, with both West Ham and Newcastle possessing players who are willing to run their socks off for the sake of their teams. In particular, the Hammers will need to be wary of the work rate of Jack Colback, who has covered an impressive 48.5km for the Magpies, whereas Steve McClaren’s men would be wise to watch out for Mark Noble who has covered 45.8km.
In centre backs Winston Reid and Chancel Mbemba, West Ham and Newcastle have two of the best tacklers in the Premier League. The EA SPORTS Player Performance Index shows that they’ve won 75% of their challenges respectively and in total have made 59 and 53 defensive contributions apiece (based on blocks, tackles won, interceptions and clearances).
Dimitri Payet has made a good start to life at Upton Park, having impressed with his ability to pick out a pass and fashion chances for his teammates. His dribbling has also dazzled, evident by the fact he’s completed nine dribbles this season which is more than any player in either the West Ham or Newcastle squad. He’s likely to meet his match when up against Vurnon Anita this weekend, who’s protected the Newcastle back four to great effect this term. The Dutchman has won 67% of the tackles he’s attempted this season, and made 10 interceptions.
The battle between Tim Krul and Diafra Sakho is likely to be a crucial one on Monday, as Tim Krul has been in inspirational form this campaign. The Newcastle ‘keeper has made the most saves in the league (24), but is up against Sakho, who although may have only found the net once this term, has shown his appetite for goal by hitting the target with 63% of the shots he’s attempted. Sakho is 8/5 with 888sport.com to score at any point on Monday.
West Ham vs Newcastle Possible Lineups:
Randolph, Tomkins, Reid, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Kouyate, Antonio, Moses, Payet, Carroll, Sakho
Krul, Janmaat, Mbemba, Coloccini, Haidara, Anita, Colback, Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Thauvin, Cisse
West Ham vs Newcastle Match Facts:
- Newcastle have only lost two of their previous nine league games at Upton Park (won four, drew three).
- West Ham have earned just one win in their last five Premier League meetings with Newcastle (drew two, lost two).
- Aaron Cresswell scored the only goal in this fixture last season as West Ham won 1-0 in November.
- West Ham are yet to win a point at home under Slaven Bilic (lost two).
- They have lost their last three Premier League games at Upton Park, conceding eight goals in the process.
- The Hammers have scored with 22% of their shots this season – a league high.
- Newcastle are still awaiting their first league win of the season – last year they went seven games without a victory at the start of the campaign.
- They have failed to score in their last three Premier League matches (lost two, drew one).
- The Magpies have not won any of their last nine away games in the league (lost seven, drew two).
Stats via BBC
West Ham vs Newcastle Prediction:
A 1-0 win for the home side.
Data supplied by the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index. Select and manage your own team of stars with at http://fantasy.premierleague.com/ or with FIFA Ultimate team.