Headlines: Tottenham welcome Paulinho, Manchester United in the race for Strootman, Man City contact Osvaldo, Napoli join the race to sign Gomez, Roma are continuing to resist all offers for Marquinhos, with PSG and Barcelona offering as much as €25m for the defender.
“It’s a huge pleasure for my career to be at a club as big as Tottenham. I know it will be a huge challenge but I think I can help all my colleagues to succeed and give a lot of happiness to the supporters.
“The training centre is amazing and I’m very impressed about the conditions Tottenham offers to the players. I will focus on my job and use the facility as much as possible.
“We used to watch the Premier League in Brazil – including Tottenham – and this club has big players. I just want to help them to succeed here. It’s nice to have another Brazilian in the squad and I’m excited to meet with Sandro and all the players.”
Arsenal’s search for a defensive midfielder:
According the Metro, Arsenal have revived their interest in Freiburg’s young defensive midfielder Matthias Ginter. With other targets likely to cost big money and having failed to make any progress, the German club’s valuation of around £6million for the youngster, could be an easier way out for Wenger. Arsenal recently sent out Coquelin the other way, which could further make the deal a possibility.
The Race for Strootman:
Man City have held meetings with AS Roma to discuss the purchase 27-year-old striker Daniel Osvaldo. The Italian striker had a fall out with the club’s caretaker manager Aurelio Andreazzoli as he criticisied his actions at the end of last season and was reported that he could leave Roma if he finds a suitable club.
Realizing there is not much hope in bringing Leighton Baines to Old Trafford, Manchester United have shifted their focus towards Guilherme Siqueira of Granada. The Representatives of the La Liga club have already admitted they would not stand in the 27-year-old’s way if a club comes in with a fee of around £6million.
With Moyes looking to find a replacement for Patrice Evra, Siqueira could be a cheaper option than Baines, but the big question remains as to whether Siqueira would step up for the big challenge.
Here are some more news from today’s papers.
- Barcelona midfielder Thiago Alcantara, 22, has a “good chance” of signing for Manchester United this week for about £17m on a five-year deal. (The Observer)
- Arsenal and Chelsea remain interested in Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney, 27, while both have also made enquiries about Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, 26. (Sunday Mirror)
- Tottenham are planning to sign Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke for £20m and are prepared to wait until after the new season has started before completing the deal for the 22-year-old. (The Sun)
- Liverpool’s no over-30s policy could scupper a move for Real Madrid’s Xabi Alonso, 31, but manager Brendan Rodgers may bend the rules to land the former Reds midfielder for £10m. (Mail on Sunday)
- Sevilla striker Alvaro Negredo, 27, is expected to complete his £20m move to Manchester City this week but manager Manuel Pellegrini has missed out on Napoli forward Edinson Cavani, 26. (Mail on Sunday)
- Arsenal have begun talks with manager Arsene Wenger, 63, over a new contract as the board look to secure the Frenchman’s long-term future.
- Manchester City are confident that defender Micah Richards, 25, will sign a new contract despite the England international requiring assurances about regular playing time. ( The Observer)
- Manager Jose Mourinho claims Chelsea were unknown to the rest of the world before he first arrived at Stamford Bridge. (Sunday Mirror)