Three Players Who Newcastle Must Look To Sell This Summer
Newcastle United have secured promotion to the Premier League courtesy of their 4-1 win over Preston North End on Monday night. Rafael Benitez’s side currently sit in the second position in the EFL Championship table, four points behind leaders Brighton & Hove Albion and stand a chance of finishing off the season in style with a trophy success, provided the Seagulls drop points in the last two games.
Having sealed the jump back to the top tier on their first attempt, the Magpies will be hoping to put up a strong showing upon their return to the Premier League. To that end, the transfer plans will already be underway at the St. James’ Park, as Benitez looks to usher in a new era with Newcastle. While there will be new signings made, there will also be a need to clear out the deadwood from the squad over the summer. And here are three players that Newcastle could look to sell in the upcoming transfer window:
The 24-year old has just made two appearances for the club this season, both of which came in the FA Cup and it doesn’t look like he has a future with the Tyneside club.
Speaking to the media back in March about his plight, Haidara had said:
“He [Benitez] has told me that he cannot play everyone and that some players must stay away from the first-team. But there are many games left until May and who knows if I will get my chance. Either way I will be ready if I am needed.”
However, with his situation hardly improving since then, it is pretty clear that he doesn’t feature in the plans for Benitez. And with his contract set to expire in a year’s time, Newcastle would be better off selling him in the summer and recoup whatever amount they can.
The 25-year old versatile left-back arrived in the summer and was given the No.7 shirt by the club, but has failed to hit the ground running in his first season.
Lazaar has been restricted to just 9 first-team appearances this season, only four of which have come in the Championship – all from the bench. He last played for Newcastle in late January in the 3-0 defeat to Oxford United in the FA Cup. Each time he has stepped out on the pitch, the Moroccan has looked out of depth and doesn’t seem like he is cut out for the Premier League.
At this point of time, his future at the club is doomed and both the parties will be better served if Lazaar is allowed to leave in the summer.
One of the most promising centre-backs in the Premier League the season Newcastle got relegated, it has been shocking to see him become nothing more than a fringe player under Rafa.
While Jamaal Lascelles and Ciaran Clark have struck up a good partnership, it has been confounding to see the manager prefer Grant Hanley ahead of Mbemba. The 22-year old has just chalked up 11 appearances over the course of the season, casting serious doubts over his future at the club.
At 22, he is young with experience in the Premier League as well, better judgment would suggest that Newcastle keep him at the club, but since he doesn’t seem to feature in the scheme of things under Benitez, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Mike Ashley get rid of him.