Premier League toppers Chelsea visit bottom-placed Sunderland on Wednesday late evening as they look to extend their winning streak. Antonio Conte’s men are well on course to a Premier League title after stitching together nine straight league wins. Sunderland, on the other hand, have won only three games under new manager David Moyes and lie at the bottom of the pile.
Since suffering a 3-0 defeat to rivals Arsenal, Conte has turned his team on their heels. The shift to a 3-4-3 have seemed to work wonders for Eden Hazard and Co. Diego Costa has been the man firing in 12 goals and leading the Premier League top goalscorers chart. For the Black Cats, nothing has gone their way. They have won only two games this season and a draw is the best case scenario for Moyes’ team.
David Moyes’ sided face major injury concerns in a few areas. Jack Rodwell and Lee Cattermole are both sidelined with hamstring and back injuries, respectively. Lyndon Gooch and Duncan Watmore are also set to miss the game with ankle and knee injuries, respectively.
Chelsea have minor injury concerns. While John Terry is yet to recover from his muscle injury, young defender Kurt Zouma has recovered from his injury. Marco Van Ginkel is also on the way back while John Obi Mikel is ruled out for the game. Oscar is also doubtful for selection after being ruled out for the West Brom game due to an illness.
Jones; Kone; Djilobodji; Van Aanholt
Larsson; Denayer; Kirchhoff; Pienaar
Azpilicueta; Luiz; Cahil
Moses; Kante; Matic; Alonso
Pedro; Costa; Hazard
Stats from Four FourTwo:
- Sunderland beat Chelsea 3-2 in May, this after winning just once against the Blues in their previous 10 Premier League games (D1 L8).
- Chelsea haven’t lost successive Premier League games against Sunderland since March 2001.
- Jermain Defoe has scored against Chelsea with four different Premier League clubs, the only player to have done this (West Ham, Tottenham, Portsmouth and Sunderland).
- Defoe has either scored (8) or assisted (2) 10 of Sunderland’s 14 Premier League goals so far in 2016-17 (71%).
- This fixture has seen 111 goals scored in 30 Premier League games, averaging 3.7 goals per game.
- The Black Cats have kept just one clean sheet in their last 16 Premier League games.
- Chelsea are unbeaten in their last 15 Premier League games played on a Wednesday, last losing to QPR in January 2013 (W8 D7).
- Sunderland have won their last two Premier League home games – they haven’t won three in a row at the Stadium of Light since February 2012.
- Chelsea are on a run of four successive Premier League away victories and will be looking to win five in a row on the road for the first time since April 2015.
- Only two teams have stopped Diego Costa either scoring or assisting in the Premier League this season (in 15 games) – Manchester United at Stamford Bridge and Arsenal at the Emirates.
Chelsea will look to maintain their winning run on Wednesday. They were dominant in the 1-0 win over West Brom on Sunday while Sunderland, on the other hand, fell to a 3-0 defeat against Swansea. On Wednesday, we expect a big victory for Conte’s men.
Final Predicted Score: Sunderland 0-3 Chelsea