For the sixth time running, Real Madrid will be battling in the Semi-Finals of the Champions League. Well, very marginally but, Los Blancos were able to defeat the very determined Wolfsburg side in their last champions league fixture and, this time around, they will be travelling England to face Manuel Pellegrini’s side Manchester City.
City knocked out PSG in the quarter-finals and it will be their very first semi-final in the competition. De Bruyne has played a great role in their triumph over PSG and is an obvious threat for Real’s soft defence. Real played better in their second half against Wolfsburg but their defence looked shaky at times and that’s the area Zidane needs to work a lot. Real Madrid were in doubt over their star players as Ronaldo and Benzema were expected to be ruled out of the clash but, they both travelled to England and will be joining the squad.
City have a huge task ahead but, to be honest, Silva, Aguero and De Bruyne can crack the Madrid’s code if played in full form. Toure Yaya is ruled out of the game following his injury but, Vincent Kompany might play.
Here is the predicted Lineup for Real Madrid that could face Manchester City in champions league Semi-Final-
- Manchester City and Real Madrid’s only previous competitive encounter was in the 2012/13 Champions’ League group stages. Real won 3-2 at the Bernabéu before a 1-1 draw at the Etihad.
- Six of Manchester City’s last nine shots on target in the Champions League have found the back of the net.
- Manchester City have scored more goals in the final 15 minutes than any other team in the Champions League this season (7).
- Real Madrid have kept more clean sheets than any other team in this season’s Champions League (8 in 10 games).
- Since 2012/13, no player has completed as many passes in the Champions League as Toni Kroos (2927).
- Agüero hasn’t had a shot on target in the Champions League for 342 minutes. His last one was his goal against Dynamo Kiev in February.
- Fernandinho has committed 32 fouls in this season’s Champions League, that’s 10 more than any other player this season (Casemiro 22).
Goalkeeper: Keylor Navas-
The obvious choice for the French coach. The Costa Rican professional has been a standout performer for Real Madrid and played a big role in Real’s game against Wolfsburg. There will be the doubters but the 29-year-old is turning the doubters into the believers through his performance.
Defence: Carvajal; Ramos; Varane; Marcelo-
Danilo’s horror show against Wolfsburg might keep him on the bench and the Spanish fullback Carvajal might be taking his place instead. He is a tricky full back and knows how to defend for lives. He will be giving a tough fight to Raheem Sterling who might start for the Citizens. Varane will be returning to his side and the Frenchman alongside Ramos will be guiding the back lines. Marcelo will surely be on the left side. Marcelo is an offensive full-back who provides a great pace to the team but, he needs to work on his defensive capabilities as he will be facing the ex-Valencia star David Silva.
Midfield: Modric; Casemiro; Kroos-
Casemiro has been a great performer under Zidane. He has become a great tackler and a tough one to beat. Well, he will be facing the in-form Dutchman Kevin De Bruyne and the Brazilian will have the one of the toughest nights of his career. Modric and Kroos are the obvious threats for City’s deep-lying midfield and with Yaya Toure out injured, they will be having a tougher night as well.
Striker: Bale; Benzema; Ronaldo-
The ex-Manchester United star has returned to Manchester but, this time, he will be facing his old time rivals at Etihad stadium. Bale’s return to England will also be an emotional one but there are no doubts that the three are capable of ripping the opposition’s defence apart. Benzema will be returning to the side after missing some League games and will give the City’s defence a run for their money and a single mistake by City’s defence can cost them a fortune.