Southampton vs Tottenham – Preview
Southampton were the last side who were able to get the better of Tottenham Hotspurs at White Hart Lane. They will be going into the game brimming with confidence after a 3-1 victory against Bournemouth. They sit seventh in the league with 24 points from 17 fixtures.
Meanwhile, Tottenham Hotspurs have won four consecutive home games in the Premier League and are just one point off a Champions League spot. However, they have not been able to lodge full points from away fixtures since September. They are currently fifth in the table after winning 2-1 against Burnley.
Tottenham will be without Eric Lamela, who is yet to recover from a hip injury. Vincent Janssen is doubtful to be back in the squad and is still recovering from an ankle problem. There are minor doubts regarding Danny Rose and Toby Alderweirald but both are expected to start the game.
Southampton are without Matt Targett (hamstring), Charlie Austin (shoulder) and Jeremy Pied (knee). Alex McCarthy has returned to training, making an early return from his hamstring problem.
Cedric; Fonte; Van Dijk; Bertrand
Ward-Prowse; Romeu; Hojbjerg
Redmond; Rodriguez; Boufal
Walker; Alderweireld; Vertonghe; Rose
Son; Alli; Eriksen
Stats from FourFourTwo
- Southampton’s 2-1 win over Spurs in May ended a run of seven Premier League games without beating them (D1 L6).
- After six successive away defeats to the Saints in all competitions, Tottenham are unbeaten in their last four games against them on the south coast (W3 D1).
- Spurs’ boss Mauricio Pochettino took charge of Southampton 54 times in the Premier League and won 35% of his matches there (19). Southampton’s 17 Premier League games this season have seen just 33 goals scored; fewer than any other side.
- Only Chelsea (43) have allowed their opponents fewer shots on target than Southampton (45) in the Premier League this season.
- Tottenham (111) are one of only two sides to have attempted 100+ shots on target in the Premier League this season, alongside Liverpool.
- Saints haven’t conceded a home goal in five hours and five minutes of Premier League football.
- Since joining Southampton in August 2014, Fraser Forster has kept a clean sheet in 40% of his Premier League matches for the club (26/65) and conceded only 54 goals.
- Harry Kane has scored with just two of his 17 shots in the Premier League since November 26th and one of these goals was a penalty.
- Spurs are winless in five Premier League away games, losing the last two (D3 L2). They haven’t lost three successive away games in the competition since March 2014 under Tim Sherwood.
- Kyle Walker has assisted four goals this season in the Premier League; more than any other defender, while only Nathaniel Clyne (28) has created more chances from defence than the Spurs’ full back (26)
Southampton will be desperate to get one over former boss Mauricio Pochettino. However, with a top 4 spot beckoning them, the Spurs will be looking to take all three points from the fixture. It will be yet another intense festive fixture.
Final Predicted score: Southampton 1-1 Tottenham
Blast From The Past