Manchester United vs Real Sociedad
Oct 23, 2013 at 7.45pm (UK)
David Moyes’ first season at the United hot-seat continues to falter in the Premier League as the Red Devils prepare to host Real Sociedad in the Champions League tomorrow. Manchester United were held to a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford by a valiant Southampton side who clinched the equaliser in the 90th minute much to the dismay of the United fans who are used to see their side pick up crucial points in the final minutes.
Although United lead the group with 4 points from their two matches, they have been unpredictable this season and will hope to secure all three points when they host the La Liga side who will arrive at Old Trafford on the back of a 2-1 victory over Valencia at the weekend. Sociedad however, are yet to open their account in the Champions League with back to back defeats in Europe.
BBC reports that, United’s defensive duo Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand remain a doubt for the clash. The pair missed Southampton’s clash and Moyes might have to start Jonny Evans if either of the one misses out. Meanwhile midfielder Tom Cleverley who is nursing his calf injury will continue to remain absent for the clash and so will striker Danny Welbeck who missed training on Tuesday according to the same report from BBC.
However, United will be buoyed by the news that youngster Adnan Januzaj has been added to the squad as a part of the home grown player rule.
Former Arsenal player Carlos Vela will be the main for the Spaniards as they look to build on their morale boosting win over Valencia at the weekend. Sociedad will continue to miss Esteban Granero.
Possible starting lineups
Man Utd: De Gea; Rafael, Vidic, Evans, Evra; Nani, Carrick, Fellaini, Valencia; Rooney, Van Persie
Sociedad: Bravo; C Martinez, Gonzalez, I Martinez, De La Bella; Vela, Bergara, Pardo, Griezmann; Zurutuza; Agirretxe
- This is the first competitive meeting between these two teams.
- Manchester Utd have never scored more than one goal in their last 12 Champions League games against Spanish opposition and have won only two games in the process (v Barcelona in April 2008 and Valencia in September 2010).
- Manchester Utd have only won one of their last six Champions League games (two draws, three defeats).
- Manchester Utd have scored five goals from six shots on target in the Champions League this season.
- Wayne Rooney has scored in only one of his last 10 Champions League games at Old Trafford – his brace in the 4-2 win v Bayer Leverkusen this season.
Facts complied from UK Yahoosport