Leeds United to battle with Chelsea, Liverpool for Ben White
The 22-year-old, who is valued at £35m by Brighton & Hove Albion, is coming on the back of a fine season on loan at Leeds United. This has led to significant interest in the youngster.
Ben White: Five things you need to know…
- White started out at the Southampton academy before switching to Brighton & Hove Albion.
- The 22-year-old has had loan spells away at Newport County and Peterborough United.
- The centre-back joined Leeds United on loan in the summer of 2019.
- White did not miss a single Championship game, playing a key role in Leeds’ promotion to the Premier League.
- He ended the 2019/20 campaign with 49 appearances in all competitions, scoring once and setting up two goals.
White was one of Marcelo Bielsa’s most important players in 2019/20. So it is hardly surprising that Leeds want to bring him back to Elland Road ahead of the new term. But his performances, naturally, have led to a lot of interest from a number of clubs in the Premier League.
As per the aforementioned report, reigning Premier League champions Liverpool are keen on the 22-year-old, while Chelsea too have taken an interest in White. Along with them, Everton too are in the running to land the centre-back.
Given that both Liverpool and Chelsea will be offering Champions League football, Leeds may find it difficult to compete with them. However, White will be a regular starter at Elland Road and that may not be the case at the other clubs.
- Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani eyes swoop for free agent Edinson Cavani
- Leeds to battle Premier League clubs for Wigan Athletic’s Joe Gelhardt
It will be interesting to see how this transfer story unfolds in the coming weeks.