Sampdoria hosted Inter on Sunday afternoon with Europa League implications on the line for the Nerazzurri, but there was even more interest in this match due to the animosity two players have caused off the pitch.
Samp striker Maxi Lopez was married to Wanda Nara, an Argentine glamour model. They were together for five years and had a family together. However, since the couple split up, Nara has since found a new boyfriend. It doesn’t come as a surprise, given her looks.
That new hubby ended up being Inter forward Mauro Icardi, who’s seven years younger than Wanda. Icardi and Lopez used to vacation together, were former teammates and were the best of friends. Obviously with this love triangle, that all changed.
Both men met face-to-face during the pre-match handshake. Lopez shook hands with every single Nerazzurri player, except for Icardi, who just ignored the outstretched arm and jogged towards the centre circle.
The match started with Icardi failing to hit the target followed by Maxi Lopez angling his drive straight at Samir Handanovic.
The former managed to put Inter ahead after 12 minutes when he ran in at the near post to convert Rodrigo Palacio’s cross from the right-wing. He ran towards the Sampdoria fans with his hand over his ear, asking where the jeers were after the goal. The Argentinean got booked for his actions.
Gianluca Sansone’s long-range shot flew over the bar and then Daniele Gastaldello won a penalty after he was fouled by Andrea Ranocchia in the penalty box. Handanovic guessed the right way and saved Maxi Lopez’s penalty after 17 minutes to add even more misery for the former Barcelona man.
Eder was then given a red card after receiving two yellows on 21 minutes. The first one was for diving and the second was for arguing with Rolando.
Samp played better when they were a man down and Maxi Lopez’s turn and shot forced another save out of Handanovic. The Slovenian keeper was just as alert when he had to parry a Sansone free-kick from flying into the top corner.
The Nerazzurri lead by a goal at half-time but the Blucerchiati attacked more after the Icardi goal and more so after the Eder sending-off. Sansone went on a solo run and his shot from distance did not hit the target. Palacio then put a shot wide and he failed to hit the target with another opportunity minutes later. He nearly made it 2-0 for Inter but Angelo Da Costa had the near post well covered.
After 61 minutes, Walter Samuel doubled Inter’s lead when he headed in a corner and Icardi scored Inter’s third goal after 63 minutes after an Inter counterattack opened up the Samp defence. Palacio got onto the scoresheet after 79 minutes after surging down the left-wing and then slotting a right-foot shot past Da Costa in the Samp goal.
In the end, it was Icardi who won the Derby della Wanda. He’s since posted absurdly rude pictures, flashing the cornuto signal, the Italian sign for when someone is being cheated on, with the caption “Wanda asks me why I drive this way”. Not to mention uploading photos of Maxi Lopez’s son, donning an “Icardi #9” jersey.
It seems as if Icardi is gaining popularity due to his off field antics more so than what he does on the pitch.
Other Talking Points:
- Juventus maintained their pace at the top of the table, defeating Udinese 2-0 on Monday night. The Bianconeri remain eight points up on second place Roma with five games left.
- Roma had arguably their most fluid, entertaining performance of the season against Atalanta. The Giallorossi won 3-1, they are on their way to a record breaking campaign, yet will most likely lose out to Juve in the Scudetto race.
- AC Milan extended their unbeaten streak to five by beating lowly Catania 1-0 on Sunday. It was a poor match in truth, but regardless, Clarence Seedorf is slowly but surely warding off his critics as each game passes.
- Fiorentina and Hellas Verona played in a 5-3 thriller that went in the Viola’s favour. With Verona safe from relegation and with their opponents most likely qualifying for the Europa League, neither side lost or won a whole lot in terms of their positioning in the table.
- Napoli won their third match in their last four as they downed Lazio 4-2. The Partenopei are 12 points away from second place Roma, so they’ll most likely have to qualify for the group stage of the Champions League through the playoff stage in August.
Other Results: Sassuolo 1-1 Cagliari; Bologna 1-1 Parma; Livorno 2-4 Chievo; Torino 2-1 Genoa