I’m sure you’ve been wondering how to bet on soccer and win or even how to make a living from betting on sports. Well, the truth is sport betting isn’t an easy way to riches, so don’t get your hopes too high. However, if you want to be serious about it, we’ve got 3 essential pieces of expert betting advice to get you going on your sports betting journey:
1. Learn the sports betting basics
Before wondering how to bet and win in soccer, tennis, basketball or even when betting on horses, it is necessary that you learn the sports betting 101. However, we’re going to stick with the beautiful game for this short guide. Have you recently asked yourself: ‘How do you bet on football?’
First of all, work on developing a general understanding of football betting terms and how betting works. Make sure you fully comprehend: how to place a bet, betting odds meaning, why odds change, various types of bets, European and Asian handicaps, live betting, betting bonus, head to heads, betting markets, live score etc.
Another important facet is understanding the enormous benefits of online betting. Having access to several online sportsbooks is undoubtedly a huge advantage, as you are able to bet each time with the bookie that provides the best odds. Learn how to bet online and you’ll quickly discover even more benefits.
Don’t forget to discover how to avoid the most common mistakes in sports betting: falling for betting scams and fixed matches premium tips, chasing losses, wagering random stakes, betting on events you know too little about and so on. We recommend this excellent betting guide that teaches you how to bet inside out, a resource addressed to both beginners and more experienced punters.
2. Pick a professional betting money management routine
Once you’ve learned how to bet on sports online it’s time to move on to the more interesting side of betting. There are thousands of sports betting strategies out there, but the thing you must first establish in order to stand a chance to grasp how to bet on football and win is to pick a viable money management routine and stick to it.
Of course, if you want to stand a chance to catch on how to bet on sports successfully you should try to imitate what the pros do. We know for a fact the majority of those who make a living from sports betting wager on singles and use a flat stake for their even bets. That would be a fixed amount consisting in something between 0.5% and 5% of their initial bankroll.
3. Finding value: Understand and apply the concept of value betting
Are you focusing on how to win a bet every time? That’s a big no-no! Every decent guide that teaches you how to bet on sports online should tell you this: You have to bet where the value is in order to win at sports betting in the long run. This concept is back from a mathematical point of view, so there’s no room for negotiation.
Forget about backing favourites on a regular basis; you’ll discover that value lies on the underdogs most of the times. But you should now ask yourself: ‘What does betting on value mean?’. The short answer to that would be that value betting is a method of determining the true value of sports betting odds and spotting opportunities where bookies are offering better odds than they should for certain outcomes.
Most pros have average odds of 2.00 or better if you’d check their betting history. Some even go as far as wagering on higher odds, such as 3.00 (betting on draws) or 4.00. I hear you saying ‘But how can I win a bet if I only wager on long shots?’ The answer to that is easy to discover if we do the math. With average odds of 2.00 you’d require a 51% hit rate to land a profit, whereas with average odds of 4.00 you’d only need to win 26% of your wagers to be successful.
Besides the fact that you will have to specialise in the selected competitions and constantly monitor them (personal and team news from betting sites, social media, sports magazines, forums etc.), developing a match analysis model for certain types of football bets can be extremely useful when it comes to repeatedly calculating the expected value.
More football betting tips from the favourite betting guide
- Avoid blindly copying picks provided by soccer tipsters; finding value should become your cup of tea. Don’t ever place soccer bets before thoroughly analysing the respective matches.
- You can never specialise enough in competitions such as the Europa League, where football statistics often don’t make much sense. Of course, if Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid have a Champions League clash and you’re monitoring La Liga things will be easier, but don’t get involved in such unpredictable competitions very often.
- Feel free to experiment various bet strategies by entering a tipster competition. You won’t lose money, but you will have a chance to track your progress in relevant way. Testing a betting system doesn’t get easier than this. After all, you don’t have to be one of the best football tipsters on the planet to share soccer betting tips, do you?
- At first, think more about cutting losses than beating the bookies. Set a realistic long-term objective and do not expect everything to fall into place at once, because you’ll have to tweak your betting system from time to time. Asian handicapping should give you a smooth start.
- Remember: discipline is the key in sports betting success and your chances of winning rely on it. Don’t fool yourself into thinking that you’ll become successful at soccer betting right after reading a beginners guide on the matter. There is a learning curve…
Sports betting should be done for entertainment purposes only. Do not wager more than you can afford to lose. There is no such thing as 100% sure soccer betting tips and no betting system that can beat the bookies just like that. Online bookmakers wouldn’t live if something like that existed!