Juventus legend Alessandro Del Piero was linked with a move to Sydney FC last Friday, but the Italian striker is set to stay at Juventus.
Sydney FC announced that they have secured the signing of Del Piero as chief executive Tony Pignata and Australian player agent Lou Sticca flew out to Italy to secure the 37-year-old’s signature. But the player’s manager, Stefano have denied it saying his Del Piero is nowhere near to making a move.
“It is premature to consider the deal as complete, despite making it clear he considers Sydney FC’s offer as a “serious” one. Obviously things were misinterpreted,” Stefano Del Piero told Italian news agency ANSA. We still have to properly analyse the project. (The offer) has not left Alessandro indifferent, we’re talking about a two-year deal. It’s a serious offer but that doesn’t mean everything’s decided.”
Del Piero has attracted interests from variuos clubs across Europe, notably Tottenham and Celtic were highly linked with the Italian. Swiss Super League club Sion also believed that they could snatch Del Piero to play for them last week but were eventually turned down by the player himself.Move to Sydney FC is still not finalised for Del Piero
It looks like Australian club Sydney FC is only the possible destination for Del Piero. However, the player’s brother and agent has warned that there is still some work to do before the Italian can play in the A-League.
“We are still seriously analysing Sydney’s offer but we haven’t decided anything yet,” he said. And it’s too early to say we will have decided by Monday.”
The forward who has played 705 games for Juventus in 19 seasons, scoring 289 goals wants to play one more season of football before finally hanging his boots and the Australian league would be a best choice for the Striker.