Heading into the 2013/14 Serie A season, no one expected Torino striker Ciro Immobile to score double-digit goals, let alone participate in the Capocannoniere race. Yet there he is at the top with 20 goals with four games left.
Immobile scored Toro’s third goal against Lazio in their 3-3 draw against them. Many expect Italy manager Cesare Prandelli to call up the 24-year-old, Prandelli would be stupid not to at this point.
The Granata may be two points away from the last Europa League spot, but even if they miss out on European competition this campaign, they have at least one thing to be happy about, the resurgence of Immobile.
Winning a Capocannoniere award wouldn’t be anything new for Immobile. While on loan at Pescara in Serie B, he scored 28 goals in 37 matches, running away with the title as the Delfini clinched promotion.
He tailed off in Genoa the next year, striking just five times. Now it seems as if he’s found his feet again for good. If Juventus want to buy back the other half of his rights, it’ll definitely be pricey. As for potential suitors Borussia Dortmund and Atletico Madrid, it may be even more costly, especially if he gets called up to the Azzurri and impresses in Brazil.
- Roma clinched Champions League football following a three year absence as they edged Fiorentina 1-0 at the Artemio Franchi. The Giallorossi’s points total of 82 would’ve given them a shot at the Scudetto last season, but thanks to Juventus’ dominance, they have to settle for second.
- Juve stayed eight points ahead by defeating Bologna 1-0 on Saturday night. Everyone expected them to win their third consecutive league title, they’re at least a week away from doing that.
- Napoli tied Udinese 1-1, they’re still on pace to clinch third place, but it’s been results like this that have cost the Partenopei a top two finish, maybe even a Scudetto.
- Inter moved one step closer to claiming a Europa League spot as they beat Parma 2-0. They’re five points up on seventh place.
- AC Milan won their fifth game in a row by crushing lowly Livorno 3-0 at the San Siro, they’re now level with Parma in sixth place.
- Hellas Verona won 2-1 against Atalanta, 36-year-old Luca Toni scored his 18th of the season, he’s second in the Capocannoniere race. What a moment it would be if he could win it.
- Catania finally earned a victory, winning 2-1 against Sampdoria. Unfortunately for them, Sassuolo won 1-0 versus Chievo, so the Rossazzurri didn’t gain a lot of ground. The Elefanti are five points away from safety.
Other results: Genoa 1-2 Cagliari