Chelsea vs Hull City
Sunday,18th August 2013
4:00 pm GMT
Title contenders Chelsea kick start their campaign against the newly promoted Hull City later this evening. Two different teams with a vast contrast in their ambitions as Chelsea aiming to be crowned the Champions of England at the end of the season while Hull look to maintain their status as a Premier league team at the end.
Blues begin this season with another new manager, but this time, “the Special One” replaces Rafa Benitez. Mourinho has already guided Chelsea to five major trophies in his first stint at the club and will look to better it this time around and the intentions have been clearly expressed with the amount of business he has done in the transfer Market. New additions like Van Ginkel and André Schürrle will prove to be great additions as they provide the depth needed to go all out for the title. Interestingly, last time when Chelsea won the Premier league back in 2010 they started their season with a 2-1 victory over none other than Hull city and blues fans will be hoping for same fortunes this time.
Hull manager Steve Bruce is expected to make a host of summer signings when his newly-promoted side take on the might of Chelsea on their return to the Premier League on Sunday. Goalkeeper Allan McGregor, defenders Maynor Figueroa and Curtis Davies and strikers Danny Graham and Yannick Sagbo have all been heavily involved in pre-season, while midfield pair Tom Huddlestone and Jake Livermore go straight into the squad following their arrival from Tottenham this week.If Hull are to get anything from this game then they ll need these star men to perform at the peak of their ability.
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has a full squad of players to select from except Cesar Azpilicueta, who was an unused substitute for Spain in Ecuador, and Victor Moses, who was in South Africa with Nigeria,who look set to miss out the match.New signings of Van Ginkel and André Schürrle are expected to make their Chelsea debut on Sunday.
Hull city too have a full squad fit and key men like Danny Graham,Tom Huddlestone and Jake Livermore will be key to Tigers performance in the match.
HULL CITY-(3-4-1-2)McGregor; Davies, Chester, Figuero; Elmohamady, Quinn, Meyler, Brady; Koren; Sagbo, Graham.
- Republic of Ireland international Stephen Quinn is the only senior player carrying an injury and will miss out with a hamstring complaint.
- Chelsea are unbeaten in their four previous Barclays Premier League games against Hull City (W2 D2).
- The Tigers have won just one point from their last five Barclays Premier League away games in London. Hull last won a competitive fixture against Chelsea in October 1988 (2-1 at home).
- Hull have not won any of their previous 19 competitive games away at Chelsea, losing 14 (D5).
- Chelsea have won 44 points on the opening day fixtures in the Premier League era; more than any other side.
- The last time Hull City won away from home on the opening day was back in 2002, when they won 3-1 at Exeter in the fourth tier.
- Should Frank Lampard play in this game, he will overtake Paul Scholes as the player to have played in his team’s opening game of the season most often in the Premier League era (players currently tied on 17).
- Chelsea scored the most headed goals (16) in the Premier League last season.
Chelsea undoubtedly are too strong an opponent for Hull but they have individual talent in their team which is capable of changing a game at any time.Mourinho ‘s tactics and Chelsea ‘s stars make a lethal combo together and I expect them to easily beat a team like Hull at home.The only concerned for Mourinho will be his defence this time and he would like to get a clean sheet against Hull and avoid any slip ups.
PREDICTED SCORELINE – CHELSEA 3-1 HULL CITY