In their last nine games against Celtic, Barcelona has won seven. This resounding run includes a 7-0 bashing with which the Catalans opened their Champions League campaign this season. The Celtic Park would be bustling with energy when these two sides lock horns tonight. While Celtic, is desperate to salvage 3 points from their last 2 games to qualify for Europa League.
Team News and Tactics
Leigh Griffiths is a doubt for the fixture as the Celts striker suffered a hamstring injury and was yet to make the cut according to latest fitness tests. Kieran Tierney suffered an ankle injury quite a while ago but is yet to recover.
Dedryck Boyata kept a clean sheet at the weekend with an impressive performance and should start at right back against the Catalans.
Celtic (4-3-3): Craig Gordon, Erik Sviatchenko, Lustig, Dedryck Boyata, Patrick Roberts; Scott Brown, Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong; James Forrest, Scott Sinclair, and Moussa Dembele
Team News and Tactics
Messi didn’t feature on the weekend but is back in the squad after overcoming a sickness. Suarez is making a return to the squad as well after remaining out of the XI due to a suspension. Jordi Alba might also make the cut after recovering from a hamstring scare.
Barcelona (4-3-3): Ter Stegen; Gerard Pique, Javier Mascherano, Umtiti, Jordi Alba; Ivan Rakitic, Sergio Busquets, Denis Suarez; Lionel Messi, Neymar, and Luis Suarez
Key Stats (from FourFourTwo)
- Barcelona’s 7-0 win against Celtic on matchday one last September is the biggest margin of victory in this season’s Champions League.
- Celtic have lost nine of their last 12 Champions League games (W1 D2). They are also winless in their last seven; an eighth would equal their longest run without a win in the competition.
- Celtic have failed to keep a clean sheet in their last 17 Champions League games, their longest run without a shut-out in the competition.
- Brendan Rodgers has won only one of his 10 group games as a manager in the Champions League, that was against Ludogorets Razgrad (2-1) in September 2014 when he was in charge of Liverpool.
- Neymar has scored four goals and delivered five assists in three Champions League games against Celtic. He’s had twice as many assists as any other player in this season’s tournament (6).
- Lionel Messi has scored seven goals in three games in this season’s Champions League, that’s already more than he achieved in the whole of last season (6).
Prediction Celtic 0- 3 Barcelona
Even though the atmosphere at the Celtic Park would be terrific and The Celts would be eager to grab a result that goes their way, Barcelona would be too good for them. There’s no match for the firepower of MSN and there should be plenty of goals in this one to prove the gulf in class.