The second week of the new Bundesliga season proved to be even more exciting than the first, full of great individual and team performances, goals, and its share of upsets.
Bayern München further laid down the marker as the team to beat with one of their most dominant performances in recent memory while defending champions Dortmund stumbled in Nürnberg.
Promoted side Eintracht Frankfurt continue to be the surprise package of the new season with a convincing win of their own in Hoffenheim and Hannover got a memorable away win in Wolfsburg. Bremen came out on top in the Nordderby and Greuther Fürth recorded a historic first ever Bundesliga win.
Bayern Munich thrashed 10 men VfB Stuttgart 6-1
These were the Results :
|02/09/12, 17:30||Bayern München 6 : 1 VfB Stuttgart|
|02/09/12, 15:30||VfL Wolfsburg 0 : 4 Hannover 96|
|01/09/12, 18:30||Fortuna Düsseldorf 0 : 0 Borussia Mönchengladbach|
|01/09/12, 15:30||1899 Hoffenheim 0 : 4 Eintracht Frankfurt|
|01/09/12, 15:30||Schalke 04 3 : 1 FC Augsburg|
|01/09/12, 15:30||Werder Bremen 2 : 0 Hamburger SV|
|01/09/12, 15:30||Bayer Leverkusen 2 : 0 SC Freiburg|
|01/09/12, 15:30||FC Nürnberg 1 : 1 Borussia Dortmund|
|31/08/12, 20:30||FSV Mainz 0 : 1 Greuther Fürth|
So, of all these matches, the 11 to make it to the SoccerSouls –Bundesliga Team of the week are :
- Rene Adler : Though he let 2 goals in, he put in an amazing performance and pulled out great saves to save Hamburger further embarrassment. He also saved a penalty in the same game and this was key in him making the team of the week.
- Per Nilsson : It’s not easy to neutralize Dortmund’s dangerous and varied attack but thanks to Nilsson’s great positioning, anticipation and tackling, Nürnberg did just that and held Dortmund for a valuable point. Nilsson won over 80% of his duels and kept Reus and Lewandowski quiet throughout the game, putting a stop to his team’s forgettable record against Dortmund.
- Kyriakos Papadopoulos : At just 20, “Papa” is displaying some of the most dominating performances in the league for a defender. Once again, his presence in the box was difficult to deal with for defenders and he scored his third career goal in the Bundesliga for Shalke.
- Philipp Wollscheid : He had a debut to remember. His well taken goal aside, Wollscheid showed the calm composure and leadership against Freiburg that has been sorely lacking in Leverkusen’s defense since Hyypia’s retirement.
- Aaron Hunt : Although he missed a penalty in the heated nordderby against Hamburg he made up for it later by converting a second penalty and also set up Petersen’s goal to put the result beyond doubt.
- Pirmin Schwegler : The captain marshaled the midfield in an impressive manner and scored a goal likely to be candidate for goal of the month. The 25 year old had a good outing in their first game against Leverkusen and an even better one this weekend at Hoffenheim.
- Szabolc Huszti : The Midfield maestro had a performance to remember against Wolfsburg.The Hungarian midfielder assisted all four of Hannover’s goals in their domineering performance at Wolfsburg and could have had even more.
- Jermaine Jones : One of the best individual efforts by Jones helped Schalke get their first win of the season.
- Thomas Müller : Against Stuttgart, Müller had one of his best performances in a Bayern jersey in some time. Two goals and two assists in their 6-1 demolition of Stuttgart speaks for itself and after a disappointing season last year, he already has 3 goals in 2 games to his name. Playing behind a striker like Mandzukic may be the key to getting the best out of Müller.
- Artur Sobiech : With Diouf sidelined and Abdellaoue and Ya Konan on the bench, Sobiech got the chance to prove himself and exceeded all expectations with a masterful performance against Wolfsburg and repaid Slomka’s faith with an impressive brace.
- Alexander Meier : After arguably being the 2. Bundesliga’s best player last year, Meier is finally ready to show his qualities in the main league. Thanks to Meier’s two goals, Frankfurt won their second of the season and continue to be the league’s surprise package.