Breaking! Mourinho Confirms About Defender Signing In The Transfer Window – No Deal Apparently

Mourinho Man United

Jose Mourinho has confirmed he will not sign a new centre-back in January despite the departure of Eric Bailly to the African Cup of Nations.

The Manchester United manager wanted to sign Sweden international Victor Lindelof from Benfica, from reports according to Sky sources. Initial talks had been held between the clubs but United’s interest has cooled, and Mourinho confirmed on Friday that he is happy with his centre-back options at Old Trafford.

Everyone wants to see their clubs bringing in that much-needed injection of goals, experience or defensive solidity so that the second half of the season is an improvement on the opening four months of the Premier League.

Asked ahead of their FA Cup third-round clash with Reading whether he will sign another centre-back in the January window, Mourinho said (via Daily Mirror):

“No, I wait for Bailly.”

“I hope the three can control the situation in those eight matches [that Bailly will miss at the Africa Cup of Nations].” said the United manager.

“I will try to rest one in every game. On Saturday [against Reading] I will rest one, against Hull [in Tuesday’s EFL Cup semi-final first leg] another.” added the Portuguese.

“We’ll try to make a rotation between these three. We still have Daley Blind as the fourth, in case we need him to play there. We have Michael Carrick. So let’s try.” he further explained.

bailly

The Red Devils are sixth in the Premier League standings but are hot on the heels of the Champions League places after a good run of form over Christmas.

United were also linked heavily with Portuguese centre back Jose Fonte but with Mourinho not willing to purchase defenders, it seems unlikely for any other deal to take place.

Written by Arnold Riley

Kostas Manolas

Manchester United Set To Offer £50m To Sign This Victor Lindelof Alternate

Bournemouth's Nathan Ake has been one of the most consistent defenders in the Premier League over the last two seasons. (Getty Images)

Breaking! Antonio Conte Reveals The Reason Why He Has Brought Nathan Ake Back To Chelsea